This Top 10 List of English Summer ales from the results of the U.S. Open Beer Championship, Great American Beer Festival, and World Beer Cup.
English Summer Ale is light straw to golden colored with medium-low to medium bitterness, light to medium-light body, and low to medium residual malt sweetness. Torrefied and/or malted wheat are often used in quantities of 25% or less. Malt flavor may be biscuit-like. English, American or Noble-type hop character, flavor and aroma are evident and may or may not be assertive yet always well balanced with malt character. Mild carbonation traditionally characterizes draft-cask versions.
1. Carver County Kölsch – Waconia Brewing Company – Minnesota
2. Hometown Blonde – RAM/Big Horn Brewery – Washington
3. Easy Livin’ – Crow Peak Brewing – South Dakota
4. True Blonde Ale – SKA Brewing – Colorado
5. Ale208 – Grand Teton Brewing – Idaho
6. Liquid AC – Karl Strauss Brewing – California
7. Ridgway Blonde – Colorado Boy Pub & Brewery – Colorado
8. Lil Sunshine Golden Ale – Latitude 42 Brewing – Michigan
9. Lean or Fat? – Revelry Brewing – South Carolina
10. Caught Looking – Black Tooth Brewing – Wyoming – Wyoming